Actor/comedian Martin Lawrence has been entertaining us with his genius brand of observational and physical comedy. With his stand-up specials, roles in film, and his iconic sitcom, Lawrence has also taught us some valuable lessons about life. Who can forget how he broke down the game of pool and how it’s a metaphor for race relations in America in Boomerang?
Since the actor is turning the big 5-0 today, we thought we’d take a look at some of the life lessons he’s taught us throughout the years.
1. Black love is beautiful and is best when you can be silly with one another.
2. The right shoes can make all the difference…
3. If you don’t respect yourself, no one else will.
4. Always have a comeback for those talking smack.
5. It’s never a bad time to dance.
6. Dealing with in-laws is the worst.
7. You will have at least one neighbor from hell.
8. Your friends will call you out about your lies.
9. Never be afraid to check a person when they get out of line.
10. The DJ is always right.
11. Old people will kick your ass even when you think they can’t.
12. You can and will be thrown out of someone’s home at the drop of a dime.
13. Know your worth.
14. You and your significant other’s best friend will probably never get along.
15. Always make an entrance.
16. You should never knock someone else’s hustle.
17. Unless they’re trying to date your daughter…
18. But know when to chill…
19. Remember who you are.
20. And when in doubt, meditate on it…