Lil Mama dropped a nostalgic track out of nowhere. The former ABDC judge took on a popular vine video and spit some preteen bars in “Sausage.” Although the subject matter of the blank-produced single is controversial, the 22-year-old paid homage to a handful of hip-hop icons, young and old. Although she included pieces of Big Sean’s “IDFWU” and Chedda Da Connect’s “Flick Of The Wrist,” Lil Mama managed to work in references to Slick Rick, Mary. J Blige, and plenty more. Here’s ten pieces of nostalgia Lil Mama left behind in her new song, “Sausage.”
1. The song samples Slick Rick’s “Mona Lisa” and Dionne Warwick’s “Walk On By.”
Slick Rick “Mona Lisa”
Dionne Warwick “Walk On By”
2. Lil Mama’s jacket is dedicated to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
3. She channeled Mary J. Blige’s “Not Gonna Cry” look, but sang to the melody of “7 Days.”
4. I don’t know where she found this clone of Buckwheat from “The Little Rascals” who knows how to bust a move.
5. You got to give her props for including the original ‘Harlem Shake’ and not the gentrified version.
6. The Jamaican-themed party is a nod towards Lil Vicious, the Young Jamaican rapper who made his debut at age 14 back in 1994.
7. It seems like she might have a thing for Sonic The Hedgehog.
8. Lil Mama dropped a quick reference to Wu-Tang’s “C.R.E.A.M,” which must have cost her a few stacks.
9. She’s wearing what looks like Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes’ black top from TLC’s “No Scrubs” video.
10. She took on Missy Elliot’s flow from “Work It” before appearing in her Madonna-inspired dress.